The Electricity Company of Ghana is a limited liability Company wholly owned by the Government of Ghana. The Electricity Company of Ghana Limited (ECG) was incorporated under the Companies Code, 1963 (Act 179) in February 1997. It began as the Electricity Department on 1 April 1947 responsible for distribution power in the entire country and later became the Electricity Division in 1962. It was subsequently converted into the Electricity Corporation of Ghana by (NLCD 125)in 1967.
In 1987, the Northern Electricity Department (NED) was established under the Volta River Authority (VRA), to take over from ECG, the responsibility of electric power distribution in Northern part of Ghana.
Since then ECG has been responsible for distribution of electricity in six political/administrative regions in southern Ghana namely, Ashanti, Central, Eastern, Greater Accra, Volta and Western Region.